>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

New to Programs

Subscribe to New to Programs 4 posts, 4 voices

Login to reply

Drc logo small OHIOco 10 posts

Hello,

My name is Jacob Metzger. I work for the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections. I am sending this e-mail in regards to a scared straight type of program I want to start at my institution. I was hoping someone might have some kind of resource that could help me with legal issues, liability issues and solutions to each of those. I was also wanting to inquire as to see if anyone knew of any other agency I could contact to get some ideas. If you could get back with me I would really appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

Male user Abe French 1 post

The NIC library has a very flexible cognitive skills program called Thinking Matters. It is free and “requires” no training. The facilitator manual has participant work sheets in the back. There is a bibliography for support. It can be used in an open enrollment or closed enrollemnt format. Through repitition it can be used as a cognitive restructuring program. The group format allows for various skill levels to be in the same group at the same time. It can also be found at www.thinkingmatters.us.

Male user muskrat72 11 posts

Go to the ACA website and see if there are any resources that may help answer your question. When it comes to inmate programming I would get with a local state facility and see if they would let you participate in some of their programs. This will give you a better understanding of what the inmates may need to know before they are incarcerated. This happens all the time between our facility and the local county jail.

Male user AZtoOR 3 posts

OK, Heres the deal. Im new to the Law Enforcement community, almost 3 years, and even newer to the job of Programs Coordinator for my County Jail. Im in a relatively small facility of just over 100 inmates. As with everyone, the budget is killing us. Im suppose to be split 75/25 between inmate programming (75%) and floor deputy (25%) although its usually the other way around. The “powers to be” want results and I have support for the most part but Im having a hard time coming up with a programs schedule that fits. The previous Programs Coordinator just left so Im chosen to continue where he left off with no training etc. My questions are: What can I teach/facilitate that I dont need to be certified in?. What programming “works” for your small facility?. How do I track results?. I have recently been trained in and am certified to teach “Breaking Barriers” and Id like to follow that up with some self esteem classes. What are some good resources out there for me. Anything else you can add would be helpful too…
Thanks

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015