>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

Trying to develop the security mindset to become a Correctional Officer

Subscribe to Trying to develop the security mindset to become a Correctional Officer 1 post, 1 voice

Login to reply

Male user nate092979 1 post

I have worked at my correctional facility for three years as a warehouse worker in Washington State. In that time I have learned that most inmates care only about themselves and I need to have my guard up lest they deceive me or worse. I am not afraid to say “no” to anyone and if people (inmates or staff) give me a hard time I give it to them back without taking things personally. I try to be mindful of looking around while I am at the workplace and not walk so fast (difficult for me to do sometimes because I worked in retail for ten years prior and as a warehouse worker it’s fast paced).
I have taken the test two times previously in my first two years and not scored high enough to advance. I believe that my math, reading, and math tests was near perfect but in the situation area (which is most of the test) I didn’t do well enough.
Is there anything or anywhere that can help me shore that part of things up for me? Anything that can teach me what to look for and what mindset to have? I would be interested in learning about some situations that you’ve been through and what you did if you’re willing to share them.
Thank you in advance. I’m willing to learn.

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015