>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

KEY CONTROL

Subscribe to KEY CONTROL 14 posts, 6 voices

Login to reply

Riot helmet Mick 307 posts

With us in “Seg” it’s 4-1. 4 Officers to every inmate. But in general we always have at the very minimum 2 Officers with you during unlock and lock up. With an average of 50 inmates per landing. Each “Wing” (3 landings) will normally have 12 Officers and one Sergeant. So if trouble kicks off there is plenty of back up.

Male user OCCD 57 posts

Murder one’s have become passe’; routinely go to GP if they are well behaved. 40 to 80 inmates and one Officer in an open dorm is fairly routine here. Two Officers if the numbers get high in GP or for Max inmates. Three officers on certain floors if the numbers get high enough. Typically anywhere from 16 to 48 inmates percell, 2 to 4 cells per unit, excepting “Special Management.” These numbers are for confinement units only. Direct Supervision units go as high as 200.

My advice look for a transfer to another section or prison. Failing that look for a job with a new Dept.

Buckeye flag Mudflap 293 posts

The people who make those decisions don’t have to deal with results, and that makes it easy for them to justify those decisions. It shows where their priorities are.

Male user justa# 1 post

mick im with ya when u say nobody should be left alone here is what im going though right now……i work in med sec open dorms of 68 inmates i have a dorm bidded that only has 20 inmates on 11-7 i had a partner but they cut him so now im left in a dorm with no cage no cells and if there is a code there are 4 locked doors to get though before help gets to me ohhh yeah and to top it off im on the 3rd floor the and the closest inmate to me is about 6 ft away from my desk and he is in for triple murder. the union has asked for the ut officer to get put back on but admin will not do it they want to save money when the asst director came to see my dorm she did not even walk all the way in she peeked in the door and took off! well im here and i hope i never have a code up here cause it will take atleast 8-10 mins for any help to make it up here at 3 or 4am

Female user Epona 4 posts

Although I love working in corrections, that seems to be the case….we are monitored right along with the inmates and always seem to be addressed with the assumption of guilt by upper management.

L.O.L. I should know. I have been accused myself and have been called on as a witness in investigations against officers stemming from false allegations made by inmates. And in every case I and the other Officers have been cleared.

I didn’t think of that, Mick. Good point.

Bad enough that Officer safety is compromised but the Officer is also open to any number of false accusations with no back up witnesses.

Yeah, it IS a bad deal. It happens way too often in the US. A lot of the brass has the mindset of “it won’t happen here….. again.” It seems like those who can do something about it don’t care and those that care can’t do anything about it.

This was for a private company. Money was the main objective….we our safety wasn’t top priority.

This is disgraceful. Never but never should any officer be left on his/her own when dealing with inmates. Here it would be absolutely unheard of.

I worked in a similar situation where I was left with about 200 male inmates to supervise. They were all locked in their dorms and I was locked in the control room, but nevertheless, I should not have been left alone with 200 male inmates, whether I was male or female…

Female user oldscrew 1 post

I work in a Male facility that is High Security with a state of 492. They are a private mob. They do not replace staff that go sick. When you sign out your keys, your responsible for them and you sign them back in right. Does anyone work in a centre that staff just hand you their keys cos they want to go walk about. At one stage, I have been asked to hold onto 4 lots of keys to units that I am not allocated to. I cannot beleive this is allowed to happen. There is no sight and sound policy, you are on your own in your unit most of the day and there is no one to watch your back when you have to enter your unit.

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015