>Users:   login   |  register       > email     > people    

on-call non-permanent

Subscribe to on-call non-permanent 1 post, 1 voice

Login to reply

Female user readyset 5 posts

Hi,
I hired on with my department in an on-call at-will status.

I really wanted to begin work as a corrections officer and that is how this department does it.
What I am learning is that during this period, which can go on for however long, we are the unprotected employee.

I was injured at work. I did not want to report it but it was impossible to keep my injury to myself. I was in too much pain. I reported it and went to the doctor. Just a sprain.

I am now not being called for shifts even though I am okay. I am thinking that they are going to let me go as they are allowed to with my non-permanent status. They aren’t calling me for shifts so what good is it to have a job anyhow. No one has answers for me.

If I get dismissed after only working for 6 months how is it going to look to other departments when I go to interview? This really bites because I love my job.

They do not have to have a reason to let me go, but I have to have a reason to tell my prospective employers as to why I was let go. I wonder what they will tell employers who call them for a reference.

I was a little hesitant to take an on-call at-will job to begin with but thought, what the heck they are sending me to their academy they must be serious. Now I find out that we are disposable because we save them so much cost in overtime pay of other workers they don’t need to treat us right.

* For speed and versatility, Corrections.com has been relaunched in opensource. Some older postings dates may be affected.

correctsource logo
Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of The Corrections Connection User Agreement
The Corrections Connection ©. Copyright 1996 - 2024 © . All Rights Reserved | 15 Mill Wharf Plaza Scituate Mass. 02066 (617) 471 4445 Fax: (617) 608 9015